Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Friday, December 12, 2003

I am thankful everyday for every day. On Thanksgiving day, I had the pleasure of meeting a 93 year old woman who inspired me. Susan and I went North (in California) to visit her family and with them I met a 93 year old woman; her name is Tess.

Upon meeting her, I just kind of blew her off and joked as she asked who I was, "I just smelled the good food and came in off the street." This woman ended up being the main source of entertainment - she talked seriously about her days as a counselor in a high school, told me about one of her students who was dedicating a book to her and joked and cussed about her sister (i believe.)

After dinner, I gave a few massages (Tui Na) - a "clothes on" type massage that has protocols for specific issues. She was one of my clients - although everyone was genuinely appreciative, her appreciation totally energized me. This woman (93 remember) totally appreciated my touch. This is when I knew that I will take this class (Tui Na - disharmonies for post surgery and geriatrics.)

Before meeting her, I didn't know what an "old" person felt like. I was surprised to feel bones and a lot of loose skin, I touched her a little differently (less vigorously) than most younger people who still have a lot of muscle tone and it just seemed to come naturally.

Touch - a very good form of communication, don't you think?

Touch someone you love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home