Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Friday, January 13, 2006

I was going to talk about the Million Little ......Lies (or pieces of lies?) guy, but he isn't really worth my energy. Instead, I will talk about myself.

How do you start a business? Grab some string from your Mom's drawer, separate it, call it yo-yo string and sell it to classmates. Sell your sister's duplicate collectible stamps for a percentage. Do dishes all day for $1. Clean rooms for $5. Save a seat for 25 cents. It was easy as a kid. Guess what? It's actually pretty easy as an adult too when you love what you do and totally believe in yourself.

For the first time in my adult life, I actually felt sure of myself while negotiating(for a job.) It isn't because I haven't had confidence in myself before; it is because this was the first time I really believed in what I was "selling."

I had spoken with Elena before I even finished school; we talked about the possibility of my doing massage in her salon. Between that time and now there have been two or three other massage therapists working from her salon. Finally, I obtained my license and was able to approach her. She told me that she no longer pays someone an hourly wage which is what she did when I spoke with her originally. The most recent guy rented the room from her. I approached her with a 50/50 proposition. She accepted and tomorrow I have my third massage this week. It may not sound like much, but it's 3 more than I had through passing out business cards. Potential clients are more likely to go into an established business than to call a number from a card they saw on a counter.

The great thing about this is that if my clients decide they would prefer I go to their house, I am not cheating Elena. I am not her employee; therefore I wouldn't be "stealing" a client from her. I feel good about this. It's a start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home