Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Friday, January 30, 2004

What makes a person continue working somewhere if they don't feel totally comfortable and somewhat fulfilled by it?

I decided to be an assistant at the biggest and the best acupuncture clinic in the area. This includes all the treatment that the patient receives other than diagnosing and putting the needles in. I set the person up before the treatment, and after the needles are in, do various other things. I do not get paid and seldom receive thanks from the acupuncturist. It almost feels like the main people at the clinic think they are doing us (the assistants) a favor by allowing us to experience this.

My committment is only one day a week for four months. My first day, I went home with a headache. The second week, I went home with a headache that progressively turned into nausea and I went to bed as soon as I returned home. That is unusual for me. I continued evaluating why I am doing this. The third week, I told the acupuncturist about my experience and we decided that perhaps it is the smoke from the *"moxa" and the incense. We didn't burn incense and used very little moxa. After the moxa treatment, I did start getting a headache but tried to push it away. Things improved a little bit.

I've come to the conclusion that I will continue my committment as an assistant. I will also continue communicating with the people in the clinic beacause they were receptive and seemed to care. I realize that I had gone in with my guard up and now it is time to let it down - slowly.

This is a good experience for me because it does give me an opportunity to see how people set up their practice. Of course I have already had an idea of how I will do things, but this has reinforced my ideas. Simply put, my ideas stress keeping things simple which will include the size of my practice. It would be a good idea to share an office area with an acupuncurist or chiropractor, but there are also other possibilities.

Who knows? I'll probably apply to work in a spa to begin and hopefully it will be a good experience, but the truth is that one of the main attractions for this type of work for me is that it is a skill/profession that I can market independently and work for myself.

*moxabustion (moxa) is a type of treatment in which we burn herbs to heat up specific acupuncture points. It smells like pot and is very smokey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home