Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

S and I had my "birthday" dinner this evening. Don't worry - you didn't forget. We had it today because we need to start eating healthily sooner rather than later. Yes, healthily is the correct word after the verb, to eat. I could also say we need to eat more healthy foods. Anyway ....... after dinner, we went to get a diamond cut shredder. I said "oh, so I guess this is my birthday present?" and added, "last year I got a vacuum cleaner and this year I get a paper shredder!" We both started laughing because we both know I also purchased a few fun things in between all that.

New topic! S's gramps is on his last leg; afterall, he is 90something. She has taken time off work to go up there (Longbeach) where he is and take care of him and then get him in the hospital and transitioned to a nursing home. This experience along with the one she experienced with her grandmother (she has already passed on,) motivated S to do a couple things. My favorite was that she immediately went to her closet and filtered through her piles of clothes. I have two big bags in my trunk ready to go to goodwill. The other thing she did was get a few documents drafted for each of us including; will, revocable trust, advanced directive, durable power of attorney for health care and financial power of attorney. She did this with the help of Suze Orman. We already have the appropriate pages notarized. I must admit, it felt weird signing that stuff, but I'm glad we did it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home