Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Sunday, January 19, 2003

Thursday, 1-2-03, we had another early morning. I was looking forward to this. We had a mule ride scheduled. Whenever we said "mule," I pictured a donkey in my mind. When I saw the mule, I thought to myself, "Hmmm - it's almost as big as a horse." You know why they take mules down the cliff, right? Neither do I, but I think it's because they are so sure footed. Graceful they are not!

klip klop, klip klop a little ways down the road until we get to the beginning of the cliff. It was comfortable - okay - I thought - this is good. My mules name is Mr. Ed. I wanted time to bond with him; afterall, I am the whisperer of all beings other than human (I'm still working on that one.) No time to bond - just a quicky information session and then get on. I started talking to Mr. Ed from the beginning though. I wanted him to know that I knew that he was the boss.

Beginning the descent was scarier than creeping to the door of an airplane of which I was about to jump. I hung on to the front with one hand and the back of the saddle with the other. I didn't want to touch the reigns because I didn't want Mr. Ed to think that I would even think of telling him what to do. Here we go!

Ker plunk! Klop! klop! Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiip! Oh my! My eyes are wide open! We just slipped and Mr. Ed doesn't seem to mind one bit. Whew! If he's okay, I'm okay! The people around me could hear me talking; they probably thought I was a little looney. "It's okay Mr. Ed - You're great! I love you Mr. Ed - you are doing a wonderful job. I trust you." In my head, I was thinking, "I sure hope this isn't the day he tries something new." I also told myself that this is definitely one of those times where I should literally go with the flow.

There were 25 or a few more turns each way. From the highest points, I actually managed to look out a bit; I didn't want to miss the beautiful scenery. I even took a good picture once. "Okay Mr. Ed, this is nice; I'm comfortable. Are we there yet?" I'm relaxed. Yeah, I am ...whoa! hang on! we just slid again. Susan's mule, loves to take the outermost edge possible. I was glad I didn't get him. When Mr. Ed turned, I usually looked in instead of out over the cliff because I wanted to stay focused on his objective and over the cliff certainly was not the objective. Finally, we are down. We took a little break and on to an old school bus we went to take the Damien tour. i'll get back to you with the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home