Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Sunday, April 13, 2003

Yard Sales, Rummage sales, Garage sales, Estate sales... Whatever you choose to call it.... oh what fun it is!

Really! I enjoy having them. Including the stuff I sold prior to the actual sale day, I took in almost $700 and still have a few things to get rid of. Despite the fact that everything is always sold at a loss compared to what was originally paid, everything feels like free and clear profit. Why? Everything feels like free and clear profit because when you compare it to giving it away or throwing it away, that is what it is.

Although most of the visitors were pleasant, I will begin by telling you about one family that caught me off guard. They pulled in, put the youngest kids in strollers, kids pushing kids and moms running all around. The walking kids were grabbing things off the tables while the women were insisting on their prices rather than mine. They were not negotiating; they were demanding! It caught me off guard, so they won - I was just anxious for them to leave my property. Of course now I realize that I should have just asked them to leave, but like I said, they caught me off guard.

Later, a woman and two daughters came by. While the little girl was closely inspecting a notebook she asked how much it was. I told her she could have it because it would be good for school. I also told her to pick one out for her sister. That was a sweet moment because I could see that she really appreciated it.

I had a few plants too and was pleased when a nice lady wanted them. I really just wanted the plants to have the opportunity to continue living. I love plants. i know I get that love from Mom because she has always been very good with them and has a house full. The real cool thing about the plants is that before Sarah and Andrea moved west, they gave me a bunch of them. They ended up visiting me a couple nights ago and took back a bunch of those plants to give to Ben, Sarah's son. In this case, the saying, "what goes around comes around," happened literally.

I sure had a great weekend! There's a lot to be said for having two days off in a row - a weekend now and then is nice too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home