Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Names! What's in a name? I think the answer is personality which includes individualization. So, many of us, at some point, decide to go by a variation of our name. I still don't know for sure what a couple of my sisters prefer to be called, so I call them by the name that we used when we were growing up together. Does Patti go by Pat with some of her friends? Does Sharlene still like to be called Shar? They have always been Patti and Sharlene to me. Actually, we did call Sharlene Sherry for some time period. How did that start and end? I don't know.

My name is Janice. On line, I have often mistyped my own name, so my online name has become Jancie. If i were to be called that in person, I'm sure I would laugh. The name i recently chose for myself is "Jan." It's not a big difference, is it? I started introducing myself as Jan to new people in my life about a year ago - maybe a little longer. As a result, my new friends and co-workers know me as Jan. If my family always calls me Janice or some of those other names I've also been called, that will be just fine.

What was I thinking? One of my Aunts used to call me Jan when I was little (that's the only time I knew those people). I always liked the way it sounded. Then, later in life, one of my brothers - in - law would call me Jan. Finally, I decided that since I like the way it sounds, I would just start introducing myself that way.

Hi, I'm Jan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home