Jan's Introspection

me and my latest - whether they be plans, insightful thoughts, ideas or realities.

Monday, January 27, 2003

Somehow, somewhere in my life, I instilled it in myself not to feel or show fear. There have been a few times in my life in which I was asked, "aren't you afraid?" or "weren't you afraid?" and my answer is generally no. For many things in life, I just go in empty... with a clean slate so to speak because the situation is new. I think it makes total sense.

Do you think jumping on a soft pillow would be scary? Is jumping into a pool of water scary or better yet for those of you who are slightly afraid of water, how do you think it would feel to jump into a gigantic bowl of jello?

Why is it then that people are afraid to jump into the wide open air? I think air is about as soft as it can get!

Susan and I stayed in a very nice hotel on the island of Oahu. Once again, we got up very early for our scheduled activity. I had been looking forward to this ever since Susan mentioned the idea of jumping out of a plane. The first thing we had to do upon our arrival was sign many clauses which for the most part said we would not sue anyone and we do know that we could get hurt or die. After the first few paragraphs, I chose not to read anymore and just signed.

The atmosphere was perfect. Everyone is happy and energetic - just overall at peace with themselves - you could tell. Even waiting for my turn was pleasant because it was fun just being in the atmosphere. The guy I jumped with is Stanley. He's a cool guy - very nice. When we got on the plane, we were told that we were to hobble on our knees to the door as opposed to scooting on our butts as originally instructed. no biggie

Sitting in the plane, the guys joking around, telling the same jokes they always tell, but "they never get old." I was a bit concerned about when he was going to hook me up to him; afterall, he was going to be my lifeline. The other guy, Susan's jumper, joked about how the hook was broken; he was trying to mess with me 'cause I also expressed concern for when he was going to attach himself to Susan. I think the joke was really on Susan though who, by the way, was quite stoic looking throughout this event.

There was a moment on the plane, where I guess i was afraid; my heart suddenly started beating at an abnormal pace. I told myself there was no way I would back down on this. Of course I was able to bring myself to another peaceful state and it was our turn to make it to the door - that...... was the hardest part, but did I have a choice? not in my opinion! to the door we went. Naturally, I tried to hang on to the outer edge of the door, the photographer kept pushing my hands off - finally,,, Out we were!

Flying through the air at an unknown speed surrounded by the wind and the wind noise! That was the freest (look it up, it's correct) feeling I have ever felt in all my life. At this point, I am not even aware of the fact that I am strapped to a man. I feel free! I feel alone! I am secure! This is life!

Moments later, Stan opens the parachute and everything slows down. This was okay too, but I personally think the freefall is the best part. Stan said something to the effect of how dangerously close we were to the mountains. I thought he was still joking around, so it didn't bother me one bit. He flew us around steered us between the mountain and the ocean and slowly we landed. Landing was easy for me; it was my job to keep my feet off the ground so he could land. No problem Stan! You do the honors! ...and he did a very nice job.

This was the epitome of a natural high!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home